Wednesday, December 25, 2013

500 Cubic Feet of Snow

What does 500 cubic feet of compressed damp snow look like?

500 square feet is about a 1/3 of my roof  area, which is what was shoveled into this pile 20 feet below me.
5 foot high pile of snow and ice
I didn't know either but I found out after a couple of back to back snow storms. With temps hovering between 30 and 34 degrees Fahrenheit, my gutters were forming ice blocks and I was concerned about ice dams on my flat roof. I climbed on up and shovel all three roofs. Glad that I did, since I found a good quarter inch ice under a foot of snow accumulation.

After 2 hours of shoveling I have bare roof across the whole house, and the roof was drying and the gutter ice was melting nicely.
Top level
On the plus side this afternoon was about 35 degrees and I have a nice view from the roofs.


No comments:

Post a Comment