Thursday, February 27, 2014

Sugarin'

We decided that Mother Nature is just not going to cooperate this year and tapped our trees even though we're not getting above freezing.  We had three glorious, wonderful days with temps in the forties, but I was out and about all of those days and the trees weren't tapped.  As soon as I was free?  Single digits at night.  So the trees are now tapped and we'll just wait to see if it every thaws out there.

I got the taps and hose from maplemadness.com as part of a starter kit.  I'm using a gallon water jug for collection.  I highly recommend the book Backyard Sugarin' to anyone that's considering trying this, it's a great book and the author lives in NH so he knows the area.

While I wait for spring to . . . well, spring, I'm also on the final countdown for chickens.  They ship on Monday and arrive Tuesday.  The pan was to put them in the sun room, but with the ridiculous weather, they may have to go in the dining room for a couple weeks.  I don't know if we can get the heat lamp down low enough to keep them at 95 when it's 12 degrees outside and the sunroom isn't insulated.  Joe doesn't know this yet, but as I'm blogging it, he should know shortly.  Sorry, hon!

No comments:

Post a Comment